As an initiative created by the Dodgers Dream Foundation, Play Ball LA visits local youth baseball/softball programs throughout the year providing baseball instruction, meet-the-Dodgers sessions and giveaways as a way to show the organization's support.
The Play Ball LA program has five primary tenets:
1. To actively encourage participation in youth baseball/softball programs.
2. To facilitate increased communication and collaboration between youth baseball/softball organizations and the civic and corporate communities.
3. To enhance youth baseball/softball education through instruction, demonstration and example.
4. To inspire sportsmanship and promote fair play for today's youth.
5. To enlighten the region's youth as to the grand history and traditions of the games.