Mets' interest in Jones no more
Source says trade with Dodgers is not going to happen
NEW YORK -- Whatever interest the Mets might have had in diminished center fielder Andruw Jones had a rather short shelf life. The Mets and Dodgers were involved in superficial discussions involving Jones during the Winter Meetings earlier this month. But a person familiar with those discussions said Monday "nothing is ongoing, and nothing [no trade] is going to happen."
ESPN had reported on its Web site that the Mets had expressed an interest in the former Gold Glove center fielder, but the report didn't mention a time element. The time clearly has passed.
The Mets had approached the Dodgers hoping to trade their damaged goods -- Luis Castillo -- for the Dodgers' -- Jones. It wasn't clear how the Mets would have used Jones, but it is highly doubtful that he would have displaced Carlos Beltran for more than a day of rest in center. The ESPN report suggested Jones would have played right but provided no indication of what the Mets would do with incumbent right fielder Ryan Church.
Which club would have assumed responsibility for which player's salary also was unclear, though there was some sense that the Dodgers would have been required to pay most of the remaining $22.1 million on Jones' $36.2 million, four-year contract. The Mets owe Castillo $18 million for three more seasons.
Marty Noble is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.