Haeger returns to Dodgers' disabled list
Knuckleballer has sprained big toe; reliever Link recalled
LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers on Monday placed right-handed pitcher Charlie Haeger back on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right big toe and recalled right-handed reliever Jon Link from Triple-A Albuquerque.
This is Link's third callup this season. In the previous two, which totaled four days, he allowed two earned runs in three appearances.
Haeger was reinstated from the disabled list on Wednesday after being sidelined with plantar fasciitis. During a rehab start he suffered what he called turf toe while making a pick-off throw. Haeger pitched only once since being activated, allowing two tainted runs in two innings.
"I just don't think that I'm healthy yet," Haeger said. "I don't want to use it as an excuse."
"We'll just see if we can get this better," manager Joe Torre said.
Shortly after news of the DL trip was announced, Haeger threw a bullpen session during batting practice with pitching coach Rick Honeycutt looking on.
Left-handed reliever George Sherrill is expected to be activated from the disabled list when he's eligible on Tuesday. On Sunday, he completed a four-game Minor League rehab assignment for a stiff back.
Sherrill said he was able to make mechanical corrections with Minor League pitching coordinator Rafael Chavez, whom he worked with in the Mariners organization.
Link had been asleep for more than two hours Sunday night when he was woken up and told of the promotion, but it will be a short stay. Torre told Link he would likely be sent down when Sherrill returns.
"We probably wouldn't have [called Link up], but yesterday we had to spend a lot, which was certainly worthwhile," Torre said of Sunday's 5-4, extra-inning win over the Braves and the effect on the bullpen.
Carlos Monasterios, who has yet to go beyond five innings, got the start Monday night against the Cardinals.
Vicente Padilla is scheduled to make his second rehab start for Class A Inland Empire on Tuesday.
Martin sits for second consecutive day
LOS ANGELES -- Russell Martin sat out for a second straight game Monday, saying he was banged up a bit. A.J. Ellis started in his place.
"Just getting another day and getting fully rested," Martin said. "It's just something that maybe one day can make me feel a lot better. I don't want to tell you what it is."
Martin has gone 4-for-21 during the Dodgers' homestead.
"Just watching him, his swing was getting bigger, longer," manager Joe Torre said. "You'd have to be in the dugout to experience the frustration sometimes when he comes in. It was just time I think to take a step back."
Third baseman Casey Blake took live batting practice for the first time since his back flared up and said afterward he was hopeful to play Tuesday. Blake hasn't played since Wednesday. He also took grounders at third base for the second straight day.
Torre said before batting practice it was possible Blake could be available Monday night if needed.
Girl injured by Martin line drive in BP
LOS ANGELES -- A Russell Martin line drive during batting practice at Dodger Stadium on Monday hit a 3-year-old girl in the head and fractured her skull, a Dodgers spokesman said.
The girl was taken to Childrens Hospital Los Angeles by a fire department vehicle and is scheduled to be operated on Tuesday morning, the spokesman said. The injury is not believed to be life-threatening.
The girl was struck around 5:30 p.m. PT down the left-field line. Martin was visibly concerned, standing outside the cage and angling his head toward the spot of the girl in the stands. The girl was carried by a man with a woman trailing behind them as they left the lower-level seating area.
"Accidents happen every day, it's just ... " Martin said. "As soon as it hit, I heard the sound, I knew it wasn't a good sound. And then I saw him grab her, it didn't look like she was moving, so that was scary. It's bad news, but it's good news at the same time. It could've been worse.
"I mean, I've hit somebody before, but not where they had to be rushed to be the hospital."
The lone death resulting from a batted ball in Major League history occurred in 1970, when a 14-year-old boy died after being struck in the head by a foul ball hit by then-Dodgers outfielder and current coach Manny Mota at Dodger Stadium.
Evan Drellich is an associate reporter for MLB.com. Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.