Tigers Press Release
Tigers Open 14th Season at Comerica Park
AL Champions title flag to be raised, The Four Tops National Anthem, AL Champions ring ceremony and Kids Opening Day highlight Opening Weekend festivities
DETROIT - Tigers baseball returns to Detroit this Friday, April 5 as the 2013 Detroit Tigers roar into Comerica Park for their first homestand of the year. The six-game homestand features two opponents, with the Tigers hosting the New York Yankees (April 5-7) and Toronto Blue Jays (April 9-11). First pitch for Opening Day is 1:08 p.m. First pitch for Saturday is 4:05 p.m. First pitch for the remaining games of the homestand is 1:08 p.m.
SUPER SPRING SPECIAL : Upper box infield tickets for $13 (normally $26) for Monday-Thursday games in April and May. Tickets are available in advance or at ticket windows on game day. Tickets are subject to availability.
Get your Tigers tickets for the Opening Homestand and games in 2013 at Comerica Park now! For single game ticket information call 866-66-TIGER. For season, group, parties and suites call 313-471-BALL (2255). For complete ticket information visit tigers.com/tickets.
Friday, April 5 - OPENING DAY - New York Yankees (Probables: Fister vs. Nova) @ 1:08 p.m. (Gates open at 10:30 a.m.)
- ·Opening Day Festivities: Opening Day will feature an American League Champions Flag Raising along with traditional events such as the national anthem and team introductions. Active Military and Veterans will be recognized following team introductions. The national anthem will be performed by Motown legends, The Four Tops. There will be a moment of silence in memory of Virgil Trucks. 1968 World Series Champion and hometown hero Willie Horton will throw the ceremonial first pitch and his teammate on the 1968 team and Tigers radio broadcaster, Jim Price, will be catching the first pitch. The Michigan Joint Honor Guard will present colors. A 150'x300' American Flag will be presented on the outfield grass during the singing of the national anthem. During the seventh inning stretch, God Bless America will be performed by vocalist Amy Gould of the United States Army.
- Game Ball Delivery: Staff Sergeant Patrick Jefferson of the United States Air Force will deliver the game ball.
- The Opening Day giveaway will be a Miguel Cabrera 2013 Magnet Schedule for the first 10,000 fans, courtesy of Comerica Bank.
Saturday, April 6 - New York Yankees (Probables: Scherzer vs. Phelps) @ 4:05 p.m. (Gates open at 2:30 p.m.)
- The first 10,000 fans will receive an American League Championship Banner, courtesy of Pepsi.
- AL Champions Ring and Silver Slugger Presentations: Members of the 2012 American League Champion Detroit Tigers will be presented their American League Champion rings during a special pregame ceremony. Additionally, Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder will be presented their 2012 American League Silver Slugger Awards.
- Game Ball Delivery: Master at Arms First Class Steven Rollins of the United States Navy from Gaylord, Michigan will deliver the game ball. He recently returned from his third combat deployment including tours in Afghanistan, Iraq and the Caribbean in support of anti-piracy operations. He has proudly served the Navy for 18 years.
- Comerica Bank Grand Slam Grant Check Presentation: Comerica Bank will present Cass Technical High School and Holland High School each with a $10,000 Grand Slam Grant to support the high school's baseball and softball programs. The ceremony will feature Tigers outfielder Andy Dirks. Following the ceremony, a coach from each team will throw out the ceremonial first pitch. Each baseball and softball program will receive complimentary tickets to enjoy Saturday's game courtesy of Comerica Bank.
- · MLB Autism Awareness Initiative: The Detroit Tigers have partnered with Major League Baseball and Jack's Place for Autism to raise awareness for autism. The efforts are focused in April during Autism Awareness month. Representatives from Jack's Place for Autism along with beneficiaries of Jack's Place will have an informational table on the concourse on April 6, 7, 9-11 and 23-25. A pregame ceremony featuring Jack's Place is scheduled for April 24.
Sunday, April 7 - KIDS OPENING DAY - New York Yankees (Probables: Verlander vs. Sabathia) @ 1:08 p.m. (Gates open at 11:30 a.m.)
- All kids 14-and-younger will receive an "Every Kid, Every Sunday" Miguel Cabrera MVP Mini-Bat, courtesy of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. Additionally, the first 25,000 fans to enter Comerica Park will receive a cheer card, courtesy of BCBS of Michigan.
- Kids Opening Day: Kids Opening Day, presented by BCBS of Michigan will take place this Sunday.
- 21 winning entries were selected from an essay contest about "how you and your child will pledge to live a healthy lifestyle this summer" with each winner receiving four complimentary game tickets as well as the opportunity to participate in Kids Opening Day.
All Sunday home games are Kids Days at Comerica Park. All kids 14-and-younger will receive a free promotional item as part of the "Every Kid, Every Sunday" giveaway guarantee, can enjoy free rides on the Comerica Bank Carousel or theFly Ball Ferris Wheel, courtesy of Kroger, can take part in free face painting, have the chance to win a bicycle and are invited down to the field for Kids Run the Bases, courtesy of Aquafina, following the game.
Tuesday, April 9 - Toronto Blue Jays @ 1:08 p.m. (Gates open at 11:30 a.m.)
- Game Ball Delivery: Petty Officer Second Class Justin Thompson of the United States Navy from Sandusky, Michigan will deliver the game ball. He recently returned from Guantanamo Bay after his fourth deployment and has proudly served the Navy for nine years.
- Aquafina School Incentive and Reward Program: This season, the Detroit Tigers Foundation, an affiliate of Ilitch Charities, and Aquafina have teamed up to donate over 10,000 tickets to area schools to reward students for a variety of achievements, including serving on the safety patrol squad and maintaining perfect attendance for a marking period. Detroit Public Schools will receive approximately 1,000 tickets through this program and the Archdiocese of Detroit will receive over 2,000 tickets that are distributed to Detroit area Catholic Schools. Students from the Aquafina School Incentive and Reward Program will attend Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday's games.
Wednesday, April 10 - Toronto Blue Jays @ 1:08 p.m. (Gates open at 11:30 a.m.)
- The first 10,000 fans will receive a Miguel Cabrera "April in the D" Mini Bobblehead, courtesy of FOX Sports Detroit.
- Award Presentations: Miguel Cabrera will be presented his GIBBY Award and Player's Choice Award for the 2012 season on the field prior to the game.
Thursday, April 11 - Toronto Blue Jays @ 1:08 p.m. (Gates open at 11:30 a.m.)
Verlander's Victory for Veterans : When Justin Verlander takes the mound at Comerica Park, he strives for victory. This season, his outings on the hill take on another meaning. For each of his home starts, Verlander will host Veterans from the John D. Dingell Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Detroit and the Veterans Affairs Ann Arbor Healthcare System. These Veterans sustained injuries or illness in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom or in Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom. The Veterans along with their families cheer on the Tigers from the comfort of Verlander's personal luxury suite. After serving our country, the special day provides American veterans the opportunity to enjoy a Tigers game with their family. All guests receive a Verlander's Victory for Veterans T-shirt and are welcomed on the video board during the game. Veterans also receive a personalized welcome letter from Verlander. When you see Verlander on the mound, he is not only playing for his team and Tigers fans around the world, he is also playing for America's heroes.