NEW YORK -- Dodgers Cuban infield prospect Alex Guerrero required plastic surgery Tuesday after his left ear was bitten by Triple-A Albuquerque Isotopes teammate Miguel Olivo during a fight in the dugout.
Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti confirmed the players that were involved, and a baseball source confirmed that Olivo bit Guerrero's ear in the culmination of a disagreement that a video showed began during a meeting on the mound in Albuquerque's 7-4 loss at Salt Lake City.
Although Colletti implied that there was no injury suffered that would keep a player off the field, there were indications that Guerrero could be out a month or longer. Both players were removed from the game, which was delayed briefly.
Colletti said he spoke with Albuquerque manager Damon Berryhill and his coaches. Colletti didn't rule out talking to the players.
"We're still looking into it," he said. "We don't condone it. I don't think it's constructive. There will be disagreements, but beyond that it goes over the line."
While Olivo is a journeyman 10-year veteran catcher serving as insurance for the big league club, the 27-year-old Guerrero was signed out of Cuba for four years and $28 million last year with the thought of becoming the starting Major League second baseman until this Spring Training, when he was slow taking to the position defensively after being a shortstop his entire career.
After making the Opening Series roster as a reserve for two games in Australia, Guerrero has been on an offensive rampage with the Isotopes. He's hitting .376 with 10 homers and 29 RBIs.
"His bat has come to life and we need to be able to find playing time for him in the big leagues at a variety of positions," Colletti said, explaining Guerrero's sudden move back to shortstop, where Hanley Ramirez continues to start for the Dodgers despite shaky defense. "The way he's hitting the last few weeks has brought attention to him. Offensively, he's very close. Defensively, he still needs repetitions."
Colletti said Guerrero also has been taking ground balls at third base, an indication that the club might be considering promoting Guerrero for one of the utility roles currently filled by Justin Turner and Chone Figgins.
Olivo was optioned to Albuquerque last week to make room for the activation of starting catcher A.J. Ellis.
Uribe could hit DL with right hamstring strain
NEW YORK -- Dodgers third baseman Juan Uribe could be headed to the disabled list after reinjuring the right hamstring that kept him sidelined for a week on the last homestand.
Uribe limped into second base on a ninth-inning double in the Dodgers' 9-4 win over the Mets on Tuesday night and was lifted for pinch-runner Justin Turner.
After the game, Uribe said the injury was in the same place as the last one, only this time it is worse.
"Right now, it's not feeling good," Uribe said. "It feels really bad now. I'll wait for tomorrow, but it feels [worse] than last time. I felt it going to first base and felt it pull a little bit more. Oh, yeah, it's worse."
Uribe only returned to the lineup Friday night in Arizona. He went 2-for-5 on Tuesday and is batting .303.
Turner and Chone Figgins will likely share the third-base duties in Uribe's absence, at least initially. The only Minor League infielders on the 40-man roster are journeyman Carlos Triunfel, Cuban infielder Alex Guerrero (injured Tuesday in a dugout fracas at Triple-A) and Cuban shortstop Erisbel Arruebarrena (at Double-A).
The Dodgers need a roster spot for Wednesday's activation of starting pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu and might not call up an infielder immediately.
Uribe's injury could provide the room for Ryu
NEW YORK -- The tough roster decision the Dodgers faced for Wednesday might have been made for them Tuesday night when Juan Uribe re-injured his right hamstring.
The club was committed to activating Hyun-Jin Ryu off the 15-day disabled list to start Wednesday night's game against the Mets, but there appeared to be no obvious choice to take off the roster to make room for Ryu.
"We're still talking about it," manager Don Mattingly said before the game.
General manager Ned Colletti wouldn't address the subject after the game.
Placing Uribe on the disabled list would provide room for Ryu. It would mean the Dodgers would carry 13 pitchers and be short one position player, at least initially.
It would also leave third base -- barring a trade -- to be shared by Justin Turner and Chone Figgins, both non-roster invitees this spring who made the team for bench roles, but never with the intent that they would start for an extended stretch. Turner is hitting .230 and Figgins .211.
Ryu has been sidelined since April 28, and his place in the rotation had been taken by swingman Paul Maholm, who will go to the bullpen as a long reliever.
Most of the current relievers -- Brian Wilson, Chris Perez, J.P. Howell, Jamey Wright and Maholm -- have guaranteed contracts and cannot be optioned to the Minor Leagues. Closer Kenley Jansen and Chris Withrow can be optioned, but that's unlikely considering their late-inning roles.
Asked before the game if contracts go into the decision, Mattingly said: "That's an interesting question. Obviously, there is something to be said for that. It ends up being a discussion with the people above you and it usually ends up turning to depth and it being a long season and things like that. It is out of your control in a sense. You try to do what's right for the club, you express your opinion and move forward."
Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.