09/01/12 9:38 PM ET
Guerrier pleased with return after long injury
By Alex Angert / MLB.com
Guerrier had been on the disabled list since April 19 with right elbow tendinitis and had previously made just seven appearances in 2012.
The righty gave up an 11th-inning homer to Jason Kubel, but he struck out Paul Goldschmidt and Justin Upton before getting Miguel Montero to ground out.
"Obviously there is always room for improvement, but I felt good," he said.
Guerrier warmed up earlier in the game, which he said made him feel more comfortable when he warmed up in the bottom of the 10th. Manager Don Mattingly said it wasn't the ideal situation to put Guerrier in after being out for months.
Going forward, the righty said he expects to be able to be an option on a daily basis.
"I'm ready," he said. "It's all about how I feel each day and typically over the last six outings in Arizona and in Rancho, I felt good enough the next day where I could throw. I can't imagine I'll feel any different [Saturday]."
Guerra, Federowicz, Ely are September callups
LOS ANGELES -- Badly in need of depth in the bullpen and on the bench, the Dodgers recalled reliever Javy Guerra and catcher Tim Federowicz and selected the contract of right-hander John Ely from Triple-A Albuquerque on Saturday as roster limits expanded from 25 to 40. Alfredo Silverio was transferred to the 60-day disabled list to make room.
Guerra, who was the Dodgers' Opening Day closer, was optioned to Triple-A on Aug. 21 after command problems earlier in the month. He made three appearances for the Isotopes and gave up four earned runs in 4 1/3 innings.
As closer Kenley Jansen waits to see how long he will be sidelined with the recurrence of an irregular heartbeat, the addition of Guerra will be a welcome one. He is 2-3 with a 2.66 ERA this season in 44 innings pitched.
"We wanted him to work on some things. In a perfect world he would have more time to do it," manager Don Mattingly said. "But we are at where we are at right now. Right now, we are OK in the back end, but you never know. It could be in the eighth or it can be early."
Federowicz will serve as the team's third catcher behind starter A.J. Ellis and Matt Treanor. The 25-year-old batted .294 with 34 doubles, 11 homers and 76 RBIs in 115 games this season with the Isotopes.
He went 2-for-13 with an RBI in seven games last season with the Dodgers.
"I think I'm a lot better," he said. "I had a good season offensively and defensively. I think I had one of my best defensive years. I've definitely improved a lot. Just getting reps, playing in games, that's the biggest thing. I'm very excited."
Ely comes to the Dodgers after a stellar season in the Pacific Coast League that earned him Pitcher of the Year. The 26-year-old had 14 wins, a 3.20 ERA and 165 strikeouts with the Isotopes this season. He led the PCL in strikeouts and ERA and he was tied for first in wins entering Saturday.
The righty has gone 4-11 with a 5.35 ERA in 23 MLB games (19 starts) since debuting in 2010.
"I'm driving my fastball better, not nitpicking at the edges. Hit it, this is what I got," Ely said. "It's made me a better pitcher."
After a promising 2010, Ely had a disappointing year in 2011 and was taken off the 40-man roster. Now that he's back with the Dodgers, Mattingly said Ely could be used as a spot starter if someone were to get hurt or as a long reliever.
"I worked hard in the offseason so I would hit the ground running in camp with a big head of steam. A chip on the shoulder is how I took it," he said. "I wanted to go into camp with a better mindset, be consistent, attack the hitters and it worked out all year. I'm glad I could reopen some eyes and get back to the Major League level."
Mattingly said he expects more players to be called up in the coming week and Bobby Abreu's name came up as a possibility.
Harang sharp in Friday no-decision
LOS ANGELES -- Lost in Friday night's extra-inning loss was another solid performance by Aaron Harang, who was pleased with his start despite coming away with a no-decision.
The veteran said he thought the ball was coming out as well as it has all season at times during Friday's start against the D-backs.
"I felt good when I was out there," the Dodgers right-hander said. "It just seemed like they found hits where the guys weren't at.
"After the fifth, I would've liked to have stayed in the game longer, but just based on the situation right there, we've got to try and get some runs. I felt like I was making pitches when I needed to."
Harang gave up three runs off five hits through five innings. He struck out three batters and walked two.
He got the D-backs to ground into double plays in the first and second innings to escape further damage.
The first run came on a triple by Chris Johnson that should have been an easy flyout, but right fielder Andre Ethier lost it in the lights and Harang was charged with a run.
"We had that unfortunate one in the second inning," he said. "It's tough at night, especially early in the game. You can lose a ball real easy. I saw the ball go up and then I didn't see it after. It was a tough situation."
Harang is now 4-3 with a 3.88 ERA while throwing 60 1/3 innings in his last 10 starts.
Following the announcements that Vin Scully and Jaime Jarrin would return next year, the Dodgers revealed broadcasters Eric Collins, Steve Lyons, Rick Monday, Charley Steiner, Fernando Valenzuela and Pepe Yniguez have signed contract renewals for the 2013 season.
"We are delighted to have our outstanding broadcast team back with us for what promises to be an exciting 2013 season," said Dodger president and CEO Stan Kasten.
Alex Angert is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.