10/15/2013 1:25 A.M. ET
Did you know? NLCS Game 3: LA 3, STL 0
By Chad Thornburg / MLB.com
A look at some notable facts and figures from the Los Angeles Dodgers' 3-0 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 3 of the National League Championship Series at Dodger Stadium on Monday.
• Yasiel Puig recorded his first hit of the NLCS in Game 3, lining a triple into the right-field wall in the fourth inning. Puig was 0-for-10 with six strikeouts in Games 1 and 2, but went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a strikeout Monday.
• Adrian Gonzalez's RBI double in the fourth on Monday snapped a streak of 22 consecutive innings without a run scored for the Dodgers. They last scored in the third inning of Friday's 13-inning Game 1 loss.
Fear the Beard
|1.||J. Rocker||1998-2001||20||20 2/3|
|4.||B. Wilson||2010-13||15||16 2/3|
|5.||D. Cook||1996-2000||19||16 1/3|
|6.||D. Mails||1920||2||15 2/3|
• Brian Wilson allowed a hit and struck out two batters in the eighth on Monday, extending his scoreless-innings streak in the postseason to five. Wilson has yet to allow an earned run in 16 2/3 postseason innings (15 appearances). Only four pitchers in Major League history have thrown more innings without surrendering an earned run: John Rocker (20 2/3), Joe Niekro (20) and Joe McGinnity (17).
• The winner of Game 3 in any NLCS involving the Cardinals has gone on to win six of 11 series.
• During the regular season, the Cards batted .238 vs. left-handers and went 19-23 when southpaws started the game. In this series, St. Louis has hit .119 (5-for-42) against Dodgers lefty starters Hyun-Jin Ryu and Clayton Kershaw.
• After an MVP-caliber regular season, Matt Carpenter is hitting just .100 (3-for-30) with three walks and nine strikeouts in the playoffs.
Offense in a funk
• The Dodgers are batting 4-for-27 with runners in scoring position through three games, while the Cardinals are 2-for-9. St. Louis led with a .330 average with runners in scoring position in the regular season, the best Major League mark on record dating back to 1974.
• Though the Cards hold a 2-1 advantage in the series, Los Angeles has outhit St. Louis, 23-13, over the three games.
• In the 1985 NLCS between the Dodgers and the Cardinals, Los Angeles won the first two games of the series at Dodger Stadium before dropping four in a row to St. Louis.
• Monday's loss was the first of Adam Wainwright's postseason career. He gave up six runs in 2 1/3 innings in Game 5 of the 2012 NL Division Series against the Nationals, but the Cards mounted a come-from-behind victory to keep his playoff record unblemished. Wainwright had limited his opponent to one earned run in each of his other five previous October starts.
• The Dodgers have come back from 0-2 deficits to win a playoff series four times in franchise history, beginning the series on the road in each (the 1955, '65 and '81 World Series and the '81 NLDS).
Chad Thornburg is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.